Watch out #picstitch fans, Instagram is finally diving into the realm of photo collages. The announcement yesterday on their Tumblr marks the second Instagram compatible app released by the platform. To get a better handle on how this app functions, I took a hands on approach.
After digging through a number of layout apps, I realized I’d have to go directly to Instagram, Inc.’s list of apps to find the latest & greatest. The swift download gave way to a seamless and crisp opening tutorial sequence. I was already hooked by the time the “Make your own” screen appeared.
A layout app isn’t anything revolutionary, but what makes this special is it’s simplicity. No more thick white lines within your collages making them feel clunky and cheap. Layout From Instagram allows users to create truly seamless images. Check out a few of our masterpieces:
- The “Faces” option pulls all photos with a face in your camera roll to easily find pics with your friends. As you might guess, this can lead to some interesting results. I do love Starbucks, but I wouldn’t consider my iced latte a friend.
- As you select images to include, the collage options will auto-populate depending on the number of pics you choose.
- The “Photo booth” allows you to capture 4 selfies on a timer. The photos are then auto-imported into a number of layouts.
- You can import your creation to Instagram, Facebook, text message, or copy a direct link.
- Currently, there is no “taken with layout” tag added to your photo after you import it to Instagram.
- Each layout can be edited to adjust the size of each section. Images can be zoomed in, flipped upside down, and mirrored.
As usual, brands have already begun to take advantage of the hype. Victoria’s Secret and Sephora are among the Layout pioneers. If you have an iPhone and haven’t already downloaded the app, get to it & get your creative juices flowing! Also, take a peek at our orange-packed photo grid @hzdg.