Ever wonder how an agency makes sure its email blasts create a lasting impression on subscribers? Here are 7 email marketing tips that will set the stage for a successful campaign and build brand loyalty.
If at first you don’t succeed…
Try, try again. Email marketing is all about trial and error. From subject lines to send times, there are a million ways to spin your email marketing strategy.
1. A/B testing is a great way to see what types of subject lines your audience is more inclined to open. Send the email with subject line A to a portion of your list and an email with subject line B to another portion. Figure out which subject line performed best and use that version for the remainder of your list.
2. There’s a lot of research out there that will tell you sending emails on a certain day at a specific time is guaranteed to yield the best results. Keep in mind that every audience is different, so while 2 p.m. on a Tuesday works great in one industry, your audience might prefer 8 p.m. on Thursday. Play around with your send days/times to see what works best on your readers.
Status: In a Relationship
Think of email marketing as dating. Just like dating, there are certain rules you must follow in order to make your relationship stand the test of time.
3. You don’t want to come on too strong, so take it slow and get to know your subscribers. Review your email statistics to see what makes your readers click — literally and figuratively. Read the signs, study their behavior and proceed accordingly.
4. There’s a special bond between an email marketer and a subscriber. You’ve been granted access to their inbox; don’t abuse the privilege. Let subscribers know exactly what to expect (frequency, content, etc.), and deliver on that promise.
5. When it’s time to break up, an email subscriber will take the plunge and click “unsubscribe.” Breaking up is tough, but you must make the unsubscribe process easy and complete. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t still be friends. Give them options to connect via social media.
If you can get your point across with a picture, do it.
6. You know the saying “Take a picture, it lasts longer”? Try applying this phrase to your emails.
Which leaves a stronger impression?
I know I’ll be picturing that piece of pizza until lunch – the words, not so much.
Keep in mind that this practice should only be used if an image will help enhance your message.
7. As much as we’d like to think that email subscribers hang on our every word, chances are they’re probably skimming. Like this blog post: You probably skimmed the headlines and read the first sentence of each bullet. Don’t worry, I’m not offended. You’re busy. Including a picture allows your readers to quickly digest what you’re presenting and move on.
Testing subject lines, ongoing analysis, and strong supporting images will help set the foundation for a successful email marketing campaign.
While these are all important tips to follow, your best bet for maintaining a strong email following is to provide subscribers with value-add content. Continually delivering material your readers want to read will result in brand loyalty, which will inevitably drive sales.